[#9] Book Review: Hopeless Magic by Rachel Higginson


Hopeless Magic 
(Star-Crossed #2)

Hopeless Magic (Star-Crossed #2)


Synopsis

After returning home from Romania, and successfully saving her best friend Lilly, Eden Matthews must now come to terms with her future as an Immortal. She is in love with the Crowned Prince, but he is betrothed to someone else.

Her family desperately wants her to join their rebellion, but that would mean fighting against her one, true love, Kiran Kendrick. She must fight off assassins that want her dead, an Immortal rite of passage that takes her to India and a deadly disease that no one has thus far survived. Danger seems to lurk around every corner as Eden Matthews struggles to keep her true identity a secret and protect those that she loves.

Eden must find a way to be with Kiran, or turn her back on him forever and fight to save her people. Hopeless Magic is the second installment of the Star-Crossed series.


Review

Hopeless Magic… The story and the writing had totally improved from the first series. I enjoyed reading this book, though it totally improved; I still think that it needed some revising. There were some loopholes and poor explanation on the events that was confusing. And I think that the novel was too long for a simple plot.

The characters: Eden, Avalon, Kiran, Jericho, and Amory. Eden was stubborn, sweet, and a little bit too stupid. Is it wrong to assume that the characters would at least learn something from their pass mistakes? Why does she kept doing something wrong and misjudge everything? I understand that some of those negative traits define her character but I think that it should at least be logical and in accordance with the events. And she was blinded with love. Avalon was responsible, great leader, caring, and a really good brother. I wish I have a brother like him ^^ I like how he was so dedicated with the Resistance and the things that he cared about. I like how he and Eden bond together as twins. Kiran was an asshole, deceiver and has no backbone at all. Why can’t he decide what’s the right thing to do? What’s wrong with everyone’s judgment in this book? I forgive his betrothal with Seraphina but his betrayal, no, never. I don’t care if he had done it Eden, it’s just so selfish. Jericho was every inch of an ideal guy. I liked him from the moment he start confessing his interest with Eden. I love how he’s willing step aside for Eden’s choice. Amory, I can’t understand how the king manage to kill him! Isn’t he a true immortal and all? Everyone tried to kill and failed, what’s the big difference with Lucan?

The events: it’s okay. The book is too long so it tends to get boring at some point. The climax is good and I really didn’t expect it to turn like that. But it was really good.

The writing, like I’d said, had improved but still needs some working on.



How much I loved it?
4.0 Hearts



No comments:

Post a Comment